Binglewood Civic Club
Join us for our next Binglewood Civic Club Meeting!
Saturday, May 8th from 9:30 am – 11:00 am.
We’re meeting in Binglewood’s James W. Lee Park (weather permitting).
If it rains, we will have our regular Zoom Meeting (see below).
Dial in information:
+1 346 248 7799
Meeting ID: 756 202 9075
One tap mobile : +13462487799,,7562029075#,,,,,,0#,,316612#
Town Hall Meeting
Questions? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Welcome to Binglewood
We welcome both residents and visitors to the official Binglewood Community Civic Club's website. Learn about our community and get involved or even consider moving in. We strive hard to maintain the integrity, value, and safety of our humble community through Deed Restrictions and active members of the Civic Club.
Located deep in the heart of Houston, Texas, Binglewood is a community of over 700 three and four bedroom brick homes built in the 1950's, 1960's and 1990's. Binglewood offers beautiful large lots, mature hardwood trees and lovely landscaping. A neighborhood park for play and recreation is located in the center of the subdivision. A three generational mix of families live in Binglewood.
Binglewood is a deed restricted community. The Binglewood Civic Club is a very active organization that meets monthly. The annual dues are $50.00. Binglewood has curbside recycling. Binglewood homeowners take exceptional pride in their homes and community. Because of vigorous efforts made by many residents, the Binglewood Civic Club was presented one of the Blue Ribbon Awards from the City of Houston for exemplary service in landscaping esplanades, developing a Citizens on Patrol Program, organizing a recycling project and generally revitalizing the neighborhood.
SchoolsSpring Branch ISD
Clay Road Baptist Elementary
St. Jerome Catholic School
University of Houston
Houston Community College
LoneStar Community College
Memorial City Mall
Memorial City Hospital
YMCA Clay Road
Dave and Busters
Agnes Moffit Park
City & RegionGalleria (7 miles)
Memorial Park (8 miles)
Energy Corridor (10 miles)
Downtown Houston (12 miles)
Herman Park (15 miles)
Museum District (15 miles)
Hobby Airport (25 miles)
Intercontinental Airport (28 miles)
Kemah (46 miles)
Galveston (65 miles)
History of Spring Branch
Spring Branch has a history older than the City of Houston. In 1830, before the Allen Brothers founded Houston in 1836, a German immigrant raised his log cabin along a small stream flowing to Buffalo Bayou. That earliest settler, Karl Kolbe, was to be remembered in history, and that history would become part of the curriculum taught in the Spring Branch I.S.D.
One day a stranger stopped by Karl Kolbe’s place to rest his horse. As they walked along a small stream, the stranger inquired of its name and was told it had not been given a name. Observing the natural spring-fed branch of water, he suggested they call it Spring Branch. The stranger moved on, but the name remained. Through the generations, the story is told that a surveyor asked Karl Kolbe the name of the community. Given a moment of reflection he replied, "Spring Branch."
In the early to mid 1840’s, four other families looking for a new life from their native Germany settled in the community. They were the families of Daniel Ahrenbeck, Jacob Schroeder, Louis Hilendahl, and Henry Hilendahl. In 1848, the Wilhelm Rummel and Siegesmund Bauer families arrived in Galveston aboard the condemned ship Neptune. Kolbe, Ahrenbeck, and Daniel Hilendahl met and encouraged them to settle in Spring Branch. That evening they, along with five other families, held a thanksgiving service for their safe trip. August Bauer, son of Carl Bauer, was appointed religious leader of the group.
In 1849, logs were cut and prepared for the first log cabin church. Left in the woods to season, the logs were stolen. At that time, a new railroad was being built, and lumber was needed for cross ties. Any thought as to the whereabouts of the stolen logs is still considered to be speculation.
However, in 1850 new logs were cut and seasoned under the very watchful eyes of Wilhelm Rummel, who donated a quarter of an acre for the church. Finally in 1854, five years after the first service was held, a little log cabin church was built near the stream. Due to fire damage in 1864, the log cabin church was replaced by a small frame church - St. Peter's United Church. That church still stands at 9022 Long Point, just east of Campbell Road. A larger church now stands beside it.
Spring Branch has gone through many changes. In time, its population shifted from solely German to a broader but mostly Anglo population. Again, in time, that changed. Today, surely no community has a more diversified population than Spring Branch. Families still come, looking for a new and better way of life.
The little church now serves as a wedding chapel. That little stream of water, Spring Branch Creek, has certainly taken on some changes. Part of it now flows through large underground culverts beneath a new Harris County park. Another part is still open but lined with concrete while still another part remains in its natural form as it winds through Spring Branch and across I-10 into the Buffalo Bayou.
Today, upscale homes are being built on the remaining vacant pasture and farmland. More and more Spring Branch property owners are refurbishing or sometimes razing and rebuilding larger updated homes. Dedicated civic leaders and other volunteers continue to pursue their vision and work together for the revitalization and preservation of one of Houston’s earliest and most desirable locations, Spring Branch.
History contributed by: Lois Stromberg